Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Why We Don't Invite Guests Over




I have this hang-up. I can't have people over unless my house is not only picked-up, but sanitized as well. 

This may have come from growing up with a perfectionist, clean-freak, ocd-type of mom whose floors you could eat off of by 3pm on any Saturday, of any week, of any year. (This was of course, after every family member was drafted to clean, using old toothbrushes to get in-between bathroom tiles, and two bottles of pledge, to clean every furniture leg in the house.)

Or, maybe it is because I am a "germ-o-phobe" and believe everyone else is too. Guests will judge me for how my sink and toilets look. 

Or, maybe it has come from selling a couple of houses. We had to be prepared to show each house, at the spur of the moment. I didn't want to be judged as a bad housekeeper. I didn't want to be accused of not taking care of our property. (Both of our homes sold in less than two weeks. It must have worked.)

Or, maybe it started when I became a stay-at-home housewife. I would foresee new friends judging me; saying that I didn't have my life together. I was fearful that family members and seasoned friends would see me as a lazy housewife; spoiled and undeserving of having my husband's paycheck at my disposal. 

Still, my house is never that dirty. It is messy with toys. There are books piled up on several tables and counter-tops. The laundry and dishes pile up during our school days (we homeschool). We eat three meals and two snacks every single day. It piles up in a hurry-several times a day. I could live in that kitchen, or that laundry room! We have 7 people who live here!

Still, I am not a hoarder. We do not have pets (currently), that make messes around the house freely at their own will. We don't eat in bed. We organize a few times a year. We clean bathrooms every week, but with 7, they could be done daily.

See-I'm crazy, right? Already making excuses, even before you come to visit.

Or maybe it is the kids. I have one with Autism (not everyone is empathetic, especially since he is high-functioning). He would rather hide in his room, than have people in our house-including his own family members. Having company throws him off of his routine. You do not want to go there. 

I have an introverted child who would rather not have company as well. He pouts and makes you feel guilty for even suggesting it.

I have an attention-demanding four year old.

We have a toddler who likes to sneak out of the house, or get into mom's make-up. She needs constant supervision.

I don't have the energy to entertain company with all of these kids. They are my priority. When my mom is watching the kids (at our house, for she lives here too), I spend my extra time and attention with my husband. It is a rare opportunity when it happens and I am not sharing!

Any comments? Anyone want to put me in my place and tell me how important friends are? Shoot me a note! 


No comments:

Post a Comment