Thursday, August 29, 2013

Keep Little Hands Occupied So Your Hands Are Free!



Whether you are a career parent, who has laundry piling up and kids pulling on your shirt sleeves for attention as soon as you walk in the door, or a homeschool parent, whose home is over-run by school-books and dishes and food messes and little ones, activity boxes can be your saving grace.

I bought the large tote with wheels at Target for the blocks. Then, I proceeded to the Dollar Store for the matching color baskets of two different shapes. I filled them each with items of the same category. Gears, musical instruments, counting puzzles, bug collecting and exploring gadgets, beads with string, flash cards, etc. are some of the categories. I used clear under-the-bed storage containers with lids for items like Playdough, paints, and Legos.  These are taken out and put on the table when I do dishes.  The other boxes are played in while the older kids complete school subjects with mom, or when I need to clean a bathroom, or dust a room.

The kids aren't always in boxes though! They love to work side by side with me when I dust; when I collect laundry, or fold towels; I always involve even the littlest of kids to "help" out by handing them a dust rag, or a set of handtowels to fold. When I vacuum, they are vacuuming the kitchen and dining area with the tiny vacuum.  Also, there are times when the older kids are doing work in their workbooks, or text books and I have a drawer of coloring books, a drawer of Dollar Store preschool workbooks, and a drawer of crayons for them to use right along with the big kids.

For special occasions when I have to watch documentaries with the older kids, or discuss household management with my husband, I bring out a box of little assorted things, such as dollhouse accessories, bracelets, dice, and other "littles". These have to be supervised with any kids under preschool age, so assign a big kid to sit with them, or just bring it out for the preschool to elementary aged kid to play in. (Grandma has her own box of "littles" as well for the kids!) Babies and Toddlers love to play with plastic cups, lids and Cherrios!

Most boxes can be put away in a closet, or up on a shelf and brought out for these special times, when you really need to have them not interrupting you. It keeps it exciting for them and works this way best.
Other boxes are set up, alongside book shelves of children's books, puzzles, and a play kitchen. They learn to occupy themselves, as long as you give them the attention first!



No comments:

Post a Comment